Monday, May 12, 2008

Nice review in the Washington Post

From The Washington Post:
A refrain from "Lovesong" describes the ebullient crowd at the Cure concert Friday at the Patriot Center: "Whenever I'm alone with you/You make me feel like I am young again."

The primarily middle-aged audience sang, clapped and -- even if it annoyed those in the row behind -- stood and danced for three hours to 39 songs culled from 30 years of gloomy-to-jovial alternative rock.

And yes, frontman Robert Smith, at 49, still wears the Goth-clown makeup and has a Medusa-like head of hair (albeit possibly with a bald spot). But the look still works for him, a la Keith Richards and his 64-year-old pirate persona.

This edition of the Cure is stripped down to four members, with Smith and Porl Thompson manning the guitars, Simon Gallup still wielding a low-slung bass and drummer Jason Cooper thumping away behind them all. And though there were some triggered synth sounds in the mix, the group revamped keyboard-heavy songs such as "The Lovecats," "The Walk" and "Close to Me" into guitar-woozy rock tunes.

The Cure even plugged two new numbers into its hits-heavy set list: the straight-up guitar popper "The Perfect Boy," which Smith said was a "world premiere," and "Freak Show," which fell next to the peppier (even silly) songs in Smith's enormous repertoire.

But for the most part, the concert was about the Cure's glorious past, and when the band played "Friday I'm in Love," it summed up the audience's adoration for a band it grew up with.

-- Christopher Porter

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the NY shows!

    Also my first trip to NY and everything :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews! I'm so excited!!! :)

    BTW, does anyone know if the Denver show is sold out? Ticketmaster is not returning any tickets for me right now, even when I search for a single ticket with the "Best Available" option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of late in the game to be going after tickets from Ticketmaster, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @shawn-w: Oh, I've got my tickets (4th row!) for that show, so I am well prepared. :) I was just curious to see what was still available through them and was surprised that they returned no results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bald spot?! :S WTF?

    ReplyDelete