Friday, March 28, 2014

The Cure in London (03-28-14)

Setlist: Plainsong, Prayers For Rain, A Strange Day, A Night Like This, Stop Dead, Push, Inbetween Days, 2 Late, Jupiter Crash, The End of the World, Lovesong, Mint Car, Friday I'm in Love, Doing the Unstuck, Trust, Pictures of You, Lullaby, High, Harold and Joe, The Caterpillar, The Walk, Sleep When I'm Dead, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Want, The Hungry Ghost, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

1st Encore: If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Shake Dog Shake, Fascination Street, Bananafishbones, Play For Today, A Forest

2nd Encore: Catch, The Lovecats, Hot Hot Hot, Let's Go to Bed, Freakshow, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?

3rd Encore: Boys Don't Cry, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab.

Huge, enormous thank you to JC/Perfect.Murder for the setlist and photos and fun! Truly appreciate it, my friend! And thank you to for the vines, & for the setlist help, and everyone who posted Instagram videos from the show.  

Soundcheck: Jupiter Crash, 2 Late, Harold & Joe, Freakshow, Play For Today, High, Friday I'm in Love, Plainsong.
(Thanks Neale, Graeme, @MarsWorld, and u-a-b-f)

Videos: Plainsong 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / Plainsong & Prayers For Rain / Prayers For Rain / A Strange Day 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / A Night Like This 1 - 2 - 3 / Stop Dead 1 - 2 - 3 / Push 1 - 2 - 3 / Inbetween Days 1 - 2 / 2 Late 1 - 2 - 3 / 2 Late & Jupiter Crash / Jupiter Crash / Lovesong 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / Mint Car / Friday I'm in Love 1 - 2 / Trust 1 - 2 / Pictures of You / Lullaby 1 - 2 - 3 / Harold & Joe 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / The Caterpillar 1 - 2 / The Walk / Just Like Heaven / The Hungry GhostFrom the Edge of the Deep Green Sea 1 - 2 / Want 1 - 2 / Disintegration 1 - 2 / If Only Tonight We Could Sleep 1 - 2 / Shake Dog Shake / Fascination St. & Bananafishbones / A Forest 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / Catch / The Lovecats / The Lovecats & Hot Hot Hot / 10:15 Saturday Night / Killing An Arab /

A Strange Day through Friday I'm in Love (42 min) / Pictures of You through One Hundred Years (1hour 6 min) / Trust through The Walk (33 min)

Video clips: Plainsong - A Strange Day - Push - Inbetween Days - 2 Late 1 - 2 - 3 - Jupiter Crash - Pictures of You 1 - 2 - Harold & Joe - Just Like Heaven - One Hundred Years - If Only Tonight We Could Sleep - Play For Today - A Forest (Simon) - Lovecats - Freakshow - Why Can't I Be You? -

Photos: Marsworld / Greg / It's A Perfect Day / Aaron Law / Perfect.Murder / Matthew North / Teenage Cancer Trust (also Facebook) / 12 - 3 (Simon's pick) - 4 - 5

Reviews: NME / The Guardian / Telegraph

Articles: Slicing Up Eyeballs / Gigwise / Consequence of Sound

Simon keeps the Doctor Who love going tonight with A Good Man Goes To War sticker on his bass.

Before the first encore - Robert: "Strange set of songs we're going to play now"

8:07 - Robert Smith: "It's a slow burning set, this one."

7:32 PM - @liqueurband: Roger Daltrey on stage with some of the young folk we are helping by donating tonight . Text Give to 70500 donate£5

7:28 PM - It's A Perfect Day: Spoiler alert (this isn't a tin whistle, though)! Photo

7:19 PM - @liqueurband: Introductions ...

7:17 PM - @liqueurband: Music on screens has stopped . Some adverts may now begin maybe ? Ah yes.

7:09 PM - It's A Perfect Day: Getting there. Photo.

6:58 PM - @liqueurband: Am in position ...

6:50 PM - @MarsWorld: inside!

6:38 PM - Perfect.Murder: We're in! Front row!

6:06 PM - @alittletosay: Claire in the door 11 q. Sound check in progress

6 PM - @TeenageCancer: fans travelled from Belgium (and we spoke to more from USA and Austria) 

4 PM - It's A Perfect Day: That's how long the line is at 4 PM. That's it! The line is much longer on the other side (shhh, don't tell them).

2:39 PM - @andyvelladesign: Polishing my cameras and kissing my new wide angle lens

2:19 PM - @andyvelladesign: Boo could only get a seat going backwards up to London to the cure boys

March 28th, 2014
Night 1 at the Royal Albert Hall
In support of Teenage Cancer Trust
Doors at 6:30-45 / The Cure at 7:30 sharp / Ends at 11.
US start times are 3:30 PM eastern, 2:30 PM central, 1:30 PM mountain, 12:30 PM pacific. Current time in London here.

Tickets may still be available. Check with the box office.

"Please note that there is no support artist for this concert and The Cure will be on stage at 7.30pm. The Teenage Cancer Trust pre-show introductions will begin at 7pm."

Robert Smith: "SPECIAL EDITION CURE T-SHIRTS WILL BE ON SALE FRIDAY AND SATURDAY (ALL PROCEEDS TO THE TEENAGE CANCER TRUST) AND THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL ARE ALLOWING ACCESS TO THE MERCHANDISE STAND (LOCATED AT DOOR 6) FROM 5:30PM ONWARDS BOTH NIGHTS…
…DOORS TO THE HALL WILL BE OPENING AT 6:30PM, AND THE CURE ARE PLANNING TO GET ONSTAGE BY 7:30PM…SO DON'T BE LATE!!!"

If you're going to the show and wouldn't mind helping me with the live coverage, please let me know. Mainly looking for live setlist updates and photos of the merchandise, but anything you want to contribute will be welcomed. Olivier should be providing updates at It's A Perfect Day, and Perfect.Murder & Greg have also offered to help, but we can always use backup. We can do it via email, Twitter, Spacebook, text, WhatsApp, whatever works best for you.

Thank you, and have a great time at the show tonight!

141 comments:

  1. If anyone would be a kind soul and get me a T Shirt, I'll paypal you the money with shipping costs and a few pints of beer for your efforts. I'm 5 foot 9, athletic, so I usually take a medium, but a large could be fine! If you are game, hit me up at:

    mikec(at)axisrecapital(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of you who attend the shows have fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have an awesome time, everyone!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun, all!
    Fingers crossed for "surprises" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope to hear something new this time..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm at work, but thankfully I don't do much here and get paid for it! Can't wait till I get back from lunch at 12:30pm and THE CURE begin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So are we hoping they throw in some Top/THOTD/KMKMKM songs that they haven't played already so that it shows us there's progress being made towards those shows becoming a reality?

    I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really-really jeaolus of everyone who will attend this show :) Have a great time it's always a pleasure to see The Cure live, wherever they play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soundcheck right now: .
    ..., harold and joe, freakshow, play for today

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have they played Harold & Joe much in soundcheck before? Live, i don't think so...

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're surely playing it in the show, they'd have had to rehearse it just to soundcheck it. Hmm...would love to hear it with whatever Roger would add.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a feeling the refresh button on my keyboard might break today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't really want to know the setlist as I am going tomorrow but can't stop pressing refresh! Unless tomorrow is a totally different set of course...................

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for donation details, have just text and gift-aided

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robert better announce 4:13 Scream tonightm and hell why not play something from it. I am sure the question will come up in intervews after the show, hope he finally confirms it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be nice. I'm itching to hear new material or 2008 unreleased material, whatever. Hopefully a couple surprise old rarely played tracks or b sides would be cool.

      Delete
    2. Ah! Stop Dead there we go! :)

      Delete
  17. So is Reeves decked out tonight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, he looks his usual self in those clips.

      Delete
    2. Ah bummer, He used to have so much flair visually with Bowie. Kinda just in a black cure uniform now ;)

      Delete
  18. Hmmm, nice heavy start so far...

    ReplyDelete
  19. 2 Late! Okay, this is going to be a very interesting evening.

    *sits back and enjoys*

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is making me want to go to Bottle Rock, but I have a bad feeling its gonna be mostly Singles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why do they always play "The end of the world" its such a horrible song.

    But on the other hand: 2 late !!!!! WOW !!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to hear 2 Late and Jupiter Crash tomorrow. Hope they keep them in for both nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cracking set. Here's hoping for 2 Late and Harold & Joe tomorrow night

      Delete
  23. Oh, the end of the world is fine to me (i mean as a song, not the real thing!). But i was expecting shake dog shake as first song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as songs about the end of the world go, I think A Strange Day is better.

      Delete
  24. Wish they played: homesick or last dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but this is a fantastic set list so far, yes?

      Delete
    2. Have to agree they are definitely mixing it up tonight, and I think tomorrow could be ever better.

      Delete
    3. maybe they will, the set is not finished yet, you know.

      Delete
  25. I'm hearing more Wish songs tonight than what I thought they would have done in the SummerCure 2012 shows. They even had a wish logo then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm astonished they dusted off an overlooked gem like 2 Late... And now, fingers crossed for a new song.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. We don't get to hear that baritone voice from Robert very often. I love it! :)

      Delete
  28. I wish someone recorded a full video of Harold and Joe.

    Is it too much to ask for "To The Sky" in the future? I looooooove that one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So lovely they played "2 Late." Probably a top 5 Cure song in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Encore with Mr. Pink Eyes followed by Chain of Flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Let's not hope for that many surprises, or else I'll really be angry not to be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the biggest surprise for me would be if RSX started throwing Blu-Ray copies of Reflections and In Orange in the crowd. :)

      Delete
  32. Guys, I will take care of the eric stuff later. A bit busy right now. Just ignore him until then. He wants attention. Don't give it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Obviously the Cure is closer to being over than ever. Everyone is up there with age and I wouldn't be surprised if they called it quits within the next 5-10 years. But what I must say is that they are really going to leave quite the legacy behind and they are trying to confirm it with these live shows over the last few years. We're very spoiled to have 3 hour+ shows and to have our favorite b-sides and rarities played now.

    This is something we never thought would happen, but now every new set is turning into something spectacular. I'm extremely jealous I didn't get to attend Voodoo to hear "Burn", but it's still epic that they did it. I hope they continue on with these Trilogy shows before they call it quits, but regardless I think it's been a hell of a ride and The Cure will go out on top in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi hi everyone, just got back to my desk, I was following along on twitter until now! I love being able to follow along and SO MUCH LOVE goes out to the magnificent PerfectMurder and his photos! Love to all you wonderful Cure peeps here too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always find 'want' to sound strange arriving in the middle of the set, because of its constructed long intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that's why it's the opener for WMS. But what do you do when you have so many good openers? Do you limit the set to just playing one? I'd rather have it in there and sound strange than for them NOT to play it. :)

      Delete
    2. Push has a long intro too (or an instrumental first verse, however you want to look at it), and I don't mind having that one in any setlist. I like long intros. And long outros.

      Delete
    3. yeah i know... but i wouldn' play it after fteotdgs..., rather after a slow song like trust

      Delete
    4. oh the intro to push is so different, so immediatly powerful (i love it), whereas want is built with one instrumenta after another, it takes its time to start, unusual vibe in my opinion, that's wwhy i think it doesn' t suit after fro the edge.

      Delete
    5. Maybe not after FTEOTDGS, but they did play it right after Trust in 2012 like you suggested. But still I'd prefer to have it in an awkward place on the setlist over not having it at all. Want is epic.

      Delete
  36. They played Wrong Number just for you Craig. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I call Seventeen Seconds encore by the way. No A Forest and Play For Today on the main setlist but the latter is on the soundcheck? Dead giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Call! I also predict an Old Skool finish :D

      Delete
  38. Still hoping Burn makes an appearance...was that slow burning set list quote from Robert a hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch, I hope you are correct! I would love another Burn video out there to watch.

      Delete
  39. If Only Tonight We Could Sleep!!! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  40. i bet for Snakepit in the first encore

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't wait to see how much weirder the set can get!

    ReplyDelete
  42. "Strange set..."
    No complaints here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well, can i 'complain'? They've played them all last tour, so no strangeness to me...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Well okay, not quite the Old School encore I was expecting, but you won't hear me complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much to complain about here, it's been a fantastic setlist so far!

      Delete
  45. So we're only expecting Freakshow now, but I'm really hoping for smoe new material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe we'll get the debut of Christmas Without You because that really would be epic.

      Delete
  46. Catch. Could this be a KMKMKM encore? If so, Like Cockatoos please!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Okay he has clearly shaken up the "standard" encore lists! Straight into Old Skool now?

    ReplyDelete
  48. I guess Random Encore #1 and Random Encore #2 are more appropriate names. They certainly don't intend to be predictable tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Replies
    1. To be fair, it is literally impossible to not dance to that song. Same with Close To Me. Speaking of which.......

      Delete
    2. True, I never get any video of LoveCats live because I'm too busy dancing!

      Delete
    3. I called it...

      Delete
    4. But they do play it at every show so it's not amazingly surprising.

      Delete
    5. kind of like me calling the old skool encore - not totally shocking at all :D

      Delete
  50. Definitely keeping the audience guessing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Are they past their 11pm time slot? I wonder what time is curfew for the venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Robert listens when they say it's curfew, LOL!

      Delete
    2. I know THAT. I just think it's worth mentioning that they decided to go past it.

      Delete
    3. Do you remember that concert where they cut the sound and Robert just threw his guitar at the crowd before saying sorry and storming off the stage?

      Delete
    4. I believe you are referring to Coachella 2009. Yep. I was there. :)

      Delete
    5. You bet I do!! I was right there!

      Delete
    6. Thing is I love Robert so much that the idea of him throwing a guitar at me kind of excites me.

      Delete
    7. Lol! I don't believe the person who caught it was able to keep it unfortunately.

      Delete
  52. 43 song setlist. If I'm not mistaken, Reflections in Los Angeles were 45 song sets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I stand corrected. Wow, they're still going. 44 songs so far with 10:15 Saturday Night.

      Delete
  53. Would it be overly optimistic to say that they might play new stuff tomorrow night? I mean they were just a bit too quick to announce another concert. That's what I thought at the time anyway. It was almost as though they'd planned it all along...

    ReplyDelete
  54. ah, it' is. Well, we've had a few surprises, that's ice, surely there will be other tomorrow.
    Big thank you to Cof & Craig again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yeah, coverage was great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh man. Nice enough setlist. But a part of me weeps whenever there is a Cure show and there isn't one song from Bloodflowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree dumb anguish. This album is severely neglected. Tonight was my 6th time and I've never heard a single song from it.

      Delete
  57. You might want to delete the replies that quote him though :/

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ugh!!! People! Please don't engage the troll! You just create more of a hassle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  59. 'Harold & Joe', live for just the second time, and the first since 1991!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and '2 Late', for the first time ever!

      Delete
    2. ...and 'Stop Dead'! Has this ever been played live?

      Delete
    3. Yes. 4 times. All last year on the TexMexVoodoo tour.

      Delete
    4. I thought so, but couldn't remember when.

      Delete
  60. Hi Craig, just to add to the warm up they also did Jupiter crash and 2 late.
    Was a truely amazing show- the atmosphere was electric! Can't wait for tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neale. Glad no one reported those, so it came as a huge surprise!

      Delete
  61. Thanks for the coverage Craig. 2 Late holy shit. I'm calling "The Exploding Boy" for night 2.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The Cure played London last night... and no, this time I won't go for a classic review...

    The day before it was Bill Viola who'd blown my heart away in a fantastic exhibition in Paris. Yesterday we all felt like "Tristan's ascension". How is it possible to reach this level of spirituality and purity when doing art? After 35 years of records, concerts, collaborations and loads, loads of stuff, The Cure fly high above now. Every single piece of sound, light, energy seems obvious, the easiest thing in the world. I used to see them like living gods but they're not. I realize at my age how humble this bunch of guys are. Gods are not humble. Gods are not generous. Gods don't play 40+ songs each night making you feel you're a blessed child. Robert Smith stared at me during a few seconds and he was just smilîng like a child, the way I was smiling myself. Smile with tears in the eyes is a sentense that summerize the emotions I -and surely the other 5,551 attendees in there- were feeling. No need to come back on a setlist brilliant like a summer night ; each song is blaze to stamp your stomach out and you fall on your knees asking for more.

    I asked them to come and play a gig to support another great cause, handicap. I would lie saying it was not a selfish request but last night made me join the dots between the most important things in life : love, support, kindness, goodwill and... ART. Because we're not gods but those things can get us closer to be... human beings.

    So, with my deepest respect and love to Robert, The Cure, Roger Daltrey and Teenage Cancer Trust, my Cure friends here and elsewhere,

    x, David

    ReplyDelete
  63. Here is 3-29-14 in MP3 Format, from a recorder in the audience. Enjoy!

    http://www.mediafire.com/download/crz58l9cncfyaof/The_Cure_3-29-14.zip

    ReplyDelete