Friday, August 2, 2013

The Cure at Osheaga Festival (08/02/13)

Cure 'Close to Me' sign at Osheaga. From Olivier at It's A Perfect Day.
Setlist: Plainsong, Pictures of You, Lullaby, High, The End of the World, Lovesong, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, A Forest, Bananafishbones, The Walk, Mint Car, Friday I'm In Love, Doing the Unstuck, Trust, Want, Fascination Street, The Hungry Ghost, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

Encore: The Lovecats, The Caterpillar, Close To Me, Hot Hot Hot, Let's Go To Bed, Why Can't I Be You?, Boys Don't Cry.

Huge thank you to Olivier, , , , for helping with the setlist & reports. Great team effort tonight. You guys are the best!

Reviews: Huffington Post Canada / La Presse / Bible Urbaine / Under The Radar / Montreal Gazette / Le Huffington Post / Sors-Tu? / 24 Hour Montreal

Photos: Darren Boucher / dvanwie / National Post / Osheaga / Dose.CA / It's A Perfect Day / 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15
Video clips: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Inbetween Days 

Videos: Highlights 1 - 2 / Plainsong & Pictures of You / Pictures of You / Lullaby 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 / Lullaby & High / Lovesong - Inbetween Days - Just Like Heaven / Just Like Heaven / Lovesong / Inbetween Days 1 - 2 - 3 / Just Like Heaven / From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea 1 - 2 / A Forest 1 - 2 - 3 / Bananafishbones / The Walk - Mint Car - Friday I'm In Love / Friday I'm In Love 1 - 2 - 3 / Want / Fascination Street 1 - 2 / One Hundred Years 1 - 2 / Disintegration / The Lovecats 1 - 2 / Close To Me 1 - 2 / Boys Don't Cry /

Show reports:

11:05 PM  @akajoeyjones - They've killed the main PA. Just getting stage sound. Monitors I think.

@thibaultdominic - as stage manager tried to stop concert robert goes into boys don't cry. Pa system has been shut down

10:42 PM @akajoeyjones - Robert said they don't have enough time for the full "doom and gloom" set.

10:26 PM @akajoeyjones - Crowd has really thinned out. Not cool.

10:16 PM @akajoeyjones - "Robert's commented on the flies a few times. Guess they're bothering him. The quote - "I'm certainly getting my protein tonight." "

9:52 PM @ashtraygirl82 - Roger's keyboards getting frequent wipe down and lotsa bugs flying around since we're right on the water.

9:34 PM Anonymous - "Thrumming-bass segue to "A Forest" by The Cure at Osheaga festival, Montreal. Primordial."

9:33PM - Anonymous -  "Wild & wonderful: The Cure's "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" with Reeves Gabrels' sea-foam green modified Rick Vito Reverend guitar."

8:59 PM Olivier - A huge number of bugs flying through the lights onstage - I hope nobody swallows one

8:33 PM Olivier - Eden Gallup just came on stage to take a picture of the crowd: cheering! The stage is ready.

8:23 PM @cookiepusher - got pretty close

8:10 PM @thibaultdominic - Heavy crowd for the Cure

8:04 PM @thibaultdominic - Setting up stage

7:40 PM @jmanley15 - front and center!! 1 hour to go!

The Cure return to Canada for the first show there since the 4Tour shows back in 2008. "Only" 2 hours tonight at the Osheaga Festival, so it will be interesting to see what stays in the set and what gets dropped.

The band are scheduled to play from 8:45 - 10:45 PM. US start times are 8:45 PM eastern, 7:45 PM central, 6:45 PM mountain, and 5:45 PM pacific. Finally, some decent times for us. :)
If you're not sure of the start time in your area, just use the clock over on the right or check here.

No webcasts tonight, but if anyone wants to streamcast, please feel free to do so. And please let us know about it. :)

If you're going to the show and wouldn't mind helping me with the live setlist and reports (via Twitter, email, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc.), please let me know. Olivier should be doing updates here, if at all possible, but with the usual problems of batteries dying, and lack of cell connections, we'll take all the help we can get. Thanks!
Thank you so much! Lots of offers of help tonight. Canada rocks!

35 comments:

  1. The only chances I have of hearing a song live for the first time tonight are Fight, Dressing Up and Just One Kiss, so here's hoping one of the three makes an appearance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish Montreal gets a short but special set like we got at Paleo with songs like "The Top" or "Cut Here" or "Underneath The Stars" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe something like Hurricane Festival 2012

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be hanging on every tweet / update tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The official site lists "livestream" but nothing happens when I click the link, maybe it'll start later? Anyway, here's the livestream link:

    http://www.osheaga.com/livestream/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks to just be a livestream of photos & updates from Twitter and stuff.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. What do you mean? Between updates? Connection trouble at the festival. Not always easy to get a signal there. Doing the best we can.

      Delete
  7. Yes - when you retweeted that thing about Roger's keyboard I thought there might be technical difficulties. No worries!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't mean it in an impatient way, I promise :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I get impatient, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, Olivier says the long pauses are due to him filming some of the show. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, well tell him to carry on, then!
      (FYI, that was me being concerned, I didn't notice that The Dude was logged in to my browser window)

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, since The Forest it's been almost exactly the same as Hawaii, with the exception of Fascination Street.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They killed the main PA? Wow, I guess that they're serious about the curfew up there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The crowd kept singing boys dont cry. It was fantastic. Really great and fun show. Robert was in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "La masse a vite perdu son intérêt pour le groupe et seuls les admirateurs les plus invétérés sont restés jusqu’à la fin. Pour une première journée affichant complet, Osheaga a plutôt eu l’air d’une fête morte en fin de soirée."
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Translation: "The crowd quickly lost its interest in the group and only the most hardcore fans stayed until the end. For a sold out first day, Osheaga seemed like a dead party by the end of the evening."

    I gotta say that this was not the case. I was right in the front, so it was hard to gauge the crowd behind, but there were still a lot of people when they pulled the plug on Boys Don't Cry. Generally, the crowd was not the most enthusiastic, but it wasn't THAT bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there were multiple reports of this. Even Joe sent a report saying the same thing. And this isn't the first time it has happened, so no reflection on Montreal fans. Says more about these dumb festivals they insist on playing, and the lame crowds they draw.

      Can you tell I hate festivals? :)

      Delete
    2. We were quite close to the stage and the crowd didnt move much but they made a lot of noise. At least there the atmosphere was good. Dont know how it was behind us.

      Delete
  15. I had heard that the crowd had really thinned out by 10:45, but I was especially objecting to the 'dead party vibe' the quote mentioned. At least it didn't feel like the case up close.

    I agree 100% about the festivals! Especially so soon after Reflections and LatAm, the setlist and 2hrs and 15 mins just don't do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello
    I don't undertand Robert's plan.He doesn't reléase any new álbum any DVD neither "Reflections" nor "south american tour" and what I can't understand is if the cure do no longer play dark songs and just 3 hours of hits why people who are not hardcore fans leave.I will leave if they continue playing these setlists which are the same everywhere and I am a hardcore fan that's why is a Little bit tiring to listen to the same hits all the time. I miss a lot the dream tour era Even in 2004 the concert in Monte Do Gozo mixing hits with dark songs was the perfect cure I remember finishing with Faith and going Nowhere.....I miss that cure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The crowd was bad. Not many fans in t-shirts, hardly anyone sang or knew words. Which is a shame, but it's a festival thing

    ReplyDelete
  18. This show was fantastic! People can easily complain about setlists from behind computer screens, but given that this was a festival, and most people there were well under 30, this setlist was great! It had lots of "hits" to keep the non-fans interested and dancing, and plenty of deep cuts throughout for the die hards. I definitely didn't notice much of the crowd losing interest, but I could understand if people wanted to get out early to beat the rush at the metro. It was absolute madness at the end of the night.

    The band was in great spirits! Robert's voice is sounding as good as ever. And the whole show was a whole lot of fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello. First of all many thanks to Craig for all the great info over the years and also to all the great Cure Fans who help make it all possible.
    I'm posting more regarding the actual festival than The Cure's performance - which was great as usual! Band & Robert sounded great. We got a semi standard festival set, which is fine by me. We got Banana Fishbones, Trust & Want :)
    Was anyone else disappointed in their OSHEAGA experience VIP tix? Paid 1159.00 for o.e VIP ticket with reserved seating.
    Our reserved "VIP" seating was behind GA..to the side. I assumed fifth row was fifth row, but was actually just some bleachers beside the back of GA. The Cure were tiny specks from our view and monitors only show so much.
    The "VIP" experience included bad seats, entrance to a lounge that was located on the complete other end of the island as any of the stages- they even piped in music...even on the patio...with a cash bar, buffet at five every day,a goody bag with a coffee cup, a towel, a plastic baggie with a Hood, paper fan and a wet nap.

    Our hotel, with a separate 600.00 charge, was an actual dorm room for McGill university. No amenities, no prizes as promised, no restaurant, no room service, no nothing. If one person. Took a shower, the tub would fill up and not drain for, literally, hours. Same thing with the sink if one brushed one's teeth. Total $hithole.

    I feel like a complete fool when I saw my seats. I was crushed. Sitting on the lawn behind GA would have been just as good.
    Bought my tix in early June and was promised meet and greets and the had no real map up, so I feel a bit deceived. Didn't expect one with The Cure, but, hell, SOMETHING.
    Again, nothing was The Cure's fault- loved them- but the venue/organization's.
    Total rip-off. But I did see a fox run across the road and Montreal was beautiful.

    Just had to vent! Thanks,R!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually sort if cried when I saw my seats:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a wealthy woman and I was so excited about this experience.

      Delete
  21. It was a great show, albeit shorter than I anticipated. I was right up at the front with the loudest set of lungs singing all the words. Sure, they didn't go too deep into other moods and textures, but I was very happy with what I got, which was The CURE, a few feet in front of me, playing! It was a celebratory mood for the gig, and I loved it! Still the best band in the world, in my books. They can do no wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, The Cure was fantastico:)

    I was only bitching about the package - not The Cure. Love them.

    After a quick google session, I found no other complaints about Oshee. SO, must just be me. Guess I didn't prepare and research enough, or I would've known how far back reserved seating is. My bad.

    TY SO MUCH for the Lolla webcast :)That, along with a few quality Oshee Vids, made me feel like I didn't actually miss a Cure Show, like I felt that I had:)

    ACL! GENERAL ADMISSION:)

    But, this will be mon last Festival. Ha. Too old for this stuff.

    My advice to smart Cure Fans? Don't buy the first tix you see, if it's festy: Research and be patient for a better deal.

    Besitos

    GO COF

    ReplyDelete