Friday, April 12, 2013

The Cure in Buenos Aires (04/12/13)

Setlist: Plainsong, Pictures of You, Lullaby, High, The End of the World, Lovesong, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Sleep When I'm Dead, Play For Today, A Forest, Primary, Bananafishbones, Charlotte Sometimes, The Walk, Mint Car, Friday I'm In Love, Doing the Unstuck, Trust, Want, Fascination Street, Hungry Ghost, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

1st encore: The Kiss, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Fight
2nd encore: Dressing Up, The Lovecats, The Caterpillar, Close To Me, Hot Hot Hot, Let's Go To Bed, Why Can't I Be You?, Boys Don't Cry, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab.

A huge thank you to Chris for getting us the updates tonight! And to Diego and for their efforts, too! Also, a huge thank you to for retweeting all of the photos, and showing us how huge the crowd was tonight!

Reviews: La Voz / La Nacion / Ana / Cleo / Emilia / Escritos Circulares / Rolling Stone / Clarin / La Nacion

Photos: JaviJota / Gigrider / Libertine / Bezowie / Vorterix / Rolling Stone / @Rockmetommyboy 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / 1 - 2 - 3 (Look at that crowd! Wow!) - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

Video - Highlights from the show / Plainsong 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 / Pictures of You / Lullaby 1 - 2 / Lullaby & High / High / The End of the World / The End of the World & Lovesong / Lovesong / Push / Inbetween Days 1 - 2 - 3 / Inbetween Days & Just Like Heaven / Just Like Heaven 1 - 2 - 3 / From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea / Sleep When I'm Dead, Play For Today, A Forest / Play For Today 1 - 2 / A Forest 1 - 2 - 3 / Primary 1 - 2 / Bananafishbones / Charlotte Sometimes / Bananafishbones, Charlotte Sometimes, The Walk, Mint Car / Friday I'm In Love 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 / Doing the Unstuck / Trust / Want / Fascination Street 1 - 2 / The Kiss 1 - 2 / If Only Tonight We Could Sleep / Dressing Up / The Lovecats 1 - 2 / Close To Me 1 - 2 / Hot Hot Hot / Why Can't I Be You? / Boys Don't Cry 1 - 2 - 3 / 10:15 Saturday Night / Killing An Arab 1 - 2  
9:04 pm - @Lilialoman: 10 mins delay to allow all the public in.. It's cold! !!

8:13 pm - Craig: Photo from River Plate Stadium as the 2nd group, Utopians, plays. 45 minutes before The Cure starts. Where is everybody?

7:45 pm - Craig: @CARPofficial posted this shot from soundcheck. You know what song that is. Will it get played again tonight, or are they just working on it for later?

7:15 pm - Craig: Here's a shot from River Plate Stadium as the first group, Di Giovannis, plays.

7:09 pm - @maruluzar: Already placed to see The Cure. still few people in River.

7:05 pm - @Lilialoman: First support band on... It's weird to be sitting. Good place tho

6:25 pm - @Ronald_Qiu: stage from second row 

5:20 pm - Craig: I spotted this a few minutes ago on the broadcast. A miniature dancing Robert Smith. WTF? Here he is again! You guys are seeing this, too, right? I'm not crazy, right? :) Phew! @CkilNYC sees him too. I'm okay. :)

4:35 pm - @Vorterix: We are talking with Richard Coleman about the first show of The Cure in Argentina. listen in http://t.co/ynhnvxRdmH

4:05 pm - I asked for proof that these tambourines Roger is throwing out to the crowd each night are actually autographed by the band, and here we are, the most prized possession of the LatAm tour! Thanks, Roger! I think the competition to catch one has just gotten much fiercer. And I'm betting JC is trying to book a flight right now, so he can try and catch one at the final 4 shows. :)

1:54 pm - @colsonslife: Love Song sound check right now.

1:23 pm - @Lilialoman: My hotel is packed with cure fans. Gonna definitely have company walking up the Road :)

1:02 pm - @Benjaminian08: Simon amplifiers with the image of multi champion cyclist

12:58 m - @Benjaminian08:

12:44 pm - @Vorterix: Estás en la cola de The Cure? Mirá quién sí está! http://vorterix.com/home/la-cola-de-the-cure_974

12:21 pm - @Vorterix: The Cure hace 26 años, corridas, quilombo y rock contado por los que lo vivieron http://t.co/ItBr3AnK7P

12:18 pm - @Benjaminian08: you can follow this radio transmission from Argentina, only until the start of the concert

12:06 pm - @RogerODonnell: Go to iTunes and buy this, if its the only song you legally download this year...If its our only voice use it...
 
11:58 am - @Benjaminian08: fans waiting at River Plate

11:54 am - @Lilialoman: Crispy autumn air blasting blue skies! Going to b a great show!

11:05 am - @Benjaminian08so you can see the stadium from river plate ,

Night 4 of the LatAm 2013 tour, and the 26 year wait is finally over for fans in Argentina! Enjoy every second, my friends! And according to this article (English), "The band will receive a diploma that declares each of its members as a Guest of Honor of this city, in a ceremony to be held tomorrow before the show."

Tonight's schedule: Gates open at 5:30 pm, Di Giovannis at 7 pm, Utopians at 8 pm, The Cure at 9 pm. Check the local time in Buenos Aires here or with the clock over there on the right.

Vorterix had hoped to have a live stream of tonight's show, but the band have decided not to allow any live broadcasts from this tour.

Pretty sure we have reporters for tonight, but if anyone who's going to the show would like to help us, especially with the song by song live setlist reports, please contact me. Post in the comments, email me at craigatcof(at)gmail(dot)com, or on Twitter @CraigatCoF, or use WhatsApp (email me and we can set it up). Thank you so much, and enjoy the show!

56 comments:

  1. A historical day in Argentina. Qué nervios tengo la puta madre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y yo! y eso que faltan 5 dias para Lima!
      Enjoy THE night argentinos!!

      Delete
  2. Tonight will be truly a night to remember, there in Argentina you will have the most beautiful show of always there with The Cure, i'm very happy for you all, Robert is Co. are of the great people, and will not disappoint you as always.So guys enjoy them as you can. Sicerely Sara Di. from Europe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! years waiting for the show! I can tell that this is one of the happier days of my life!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Come on, you waited 26 years, hang in for just a few more hours. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. The wait is killng me too and I'm in the U.S.! lol... Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, have a great time tonight, Antti, Vicky and Christine! Please tell us all about it when you can.

      Delete
  6. For those who hadn't guessed, Roger's referring to the death of Maggie Thatcher with his iTunes link. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead has become a hit in the UK this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plainsong! Looks like Argentina will have a special set tonight. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for the Argentinian fans!!!! Enjoy every minute

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fuckload of people! Does anyone have any idea of how many people are there? Or biggest audience for Cure shows (non festival) in the past??

    I'm blown away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No numbers yet, but capacity is 50 - 60,000. Can't see if the stands are filled, but look at the floor!

      Delete
    2. I'm dying at the thought!

      RS pulled back from stadium shows. Imagine if they continued on the trajectory after Prayer / Wish tours!

      Delete
    3. I have video of Bob Geldof from the 90s, he's raving about The Cure and says "they're much bigger than U2 but nobody realizes that they are"

      Delete
    4. I just found an article that says it has a 65000 capacity... YOWSERS!!!!

      Delete
    5. Craig - there are a couple of Pics in the Rolling Stone article you've linked. if you look thru to the end of the gallery - you will see some shots from the rear curve of the stadium that show that back and upper reaches of the stadium are packed too. Im guessing this one, was quite close to a total sellout show.

      Delete
  10. oh my what a set! what an amazing night to be at a Cure concert! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plainsong/Disintegration bookends AND that first encore? Awesome! (makes me overlook TEOTW and SWID zzzzz)

    ReplyDelete
  12. THE CURE cured the Argentinians tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Craig, seems like that's pretty standard this time through. Have any gone to 3:30 yet or beyond?

      Delete
    2. I don't think so. Most have been around 3:20. Right around there.

      Delete
  14. I can't believe there isn't an audience recording or the radio broadcast that has surfaced online yet? The Europeand summer tour of 2012 was everywhere immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not expect any audience audio from this tour. Seems that the Latinos are too busy being themselves.

      Delete
    2. What, enjoying themselves? Having a good time? Living in the moment and not giving a damn if you get a stupid recording of the show? Yeah, I'm with the Latinos on that.

      Delete
    3. Peace. It is a cultural thing. I am tempted to book a flight and do it myself.

      Delete
    4. During the 70s and most of the 80s, all latin countries were under heavy dictatorial governments at some point. Censorship was mad. You just couldn't gather more than 3 people without being inspected by the police and being called a terrorist (yes, a terrorist). Hence, whenever we had any kind of concerts back then (one every 10 years...), the security was extremely tight. Still is, though, and we weren't used to do any of these things. Even simple cameras weren't allowed. Instead, we just enjoyed the show because we didn't know if we would have any other concert ever, let alone another concert of that band. Today we have "democracy", but it's still stupid to spend the whole concert checking for recording levels... I guess this is why almost every concert in Latin America is so wild, we still are very needy of that, after all these years of draught.

      Some trivia: in the 70's, there was this eternal rumour every year that the Rolling Stones were going to play in Brazil. Every year, the same. Of course, it was a lie. They say that these rumours were spread by the goverment itself to "calm down" the "angry youth"... I still don't get it after all these years...

      Delete
  15. PS...huge f'n crowd...pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fucking amazing show. Stadium was practically empty when the first band started, we were a bit surprised. But it rapidly started filling up by the time the cure started. Fun fun. More later. Bed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Christine. Did Antti? :) Yeah, we were watching a broadcast from the stadium and no one was there. They delayed the start for 30 minutes to accommodate the fans stuck in traffic and the crowds stuck in lines outside the stadium.

      Goodnight!

      Delete
    2. Yes Antti enjoyed it too. We were a bit dead at the end. We were in the front section/mosh pit. :)

      Delete
    3. Great to hear. Hugs to Antti.

      Delete
  17. "frente a más de 40.000 personas " wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I look on the setlist, it must have been one of the best concerts ever. Just Faith and Drowning Man are missing!
    Great tour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was my first Cure concert. I have been following the band since I was a teenager. They sound so awesome live!!. I'm surprised of how Robert's voice hasn't change.
    When I heard "Plainsong" I couldn't hold back my tears..it's such a beautiful song and live sounds 100 % better. "Pictures of you" holds a special place in my heart. The same applies to "High", "Just like heaven" and so many others. It's a pity they didn't sang "In you house", "A strange day", "Faith", "A chain of flowers", among others.
    The truth is I'm blown away, moved...my heart is exposed, out of my chest. I still can't believe I saw Robert and the band and that I wasn't watching a youtube video.
    Today I woke up and I asked myself "Was it a dream?, Was it for real?". The best experience of my life, so far. I'm extremely sensitive right now and yes, obviously HAPPY. Finally, my wish was granted!! :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading how others describe their experience. Yours was beautiful. So happy you got to see, hear and feel them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your words, Kendra!. Only Cure fans know how it feels, it's a feeling we all share :)

      Delete
    3. I agree with Kendra. It's so great to read the reviews from fans seeing them for the very first time. Thank you for posting this and sharing your thoughts on the show.

      Delete
    4. My pleasure. It was something I needed to say...seeing The Cure live for the first time after so many years is such a strong experience that I needed to release my feelings.
      Thank you for your site, Craig!. You keep all Cure fans updated and it's easy to see all the energy + love that you put here and that's beautiful!.

      Delete
  20. There are no words no describe how I felt yesterday. It was my first cure show and I still can't believe it. I remember a few months ago when I emailed craig telling him that a journalist had announced that TC were coming, Then, that became real and here I am. I always hated people who cried at concerts, but yesterday it was me who could not compose and cried the whole three first songs, not able to understand my feelings. When I saw Robert on stage I melted, I felt magic in the air. To listen to the music on live was incredibly magical. Those songs I listened to when I got back from work or at home were now being sung for real. I must admit today I'm sad, I don't know why I feel certain sadness because I know the moment ended. Though I'll treasure the moment forever, I want more and more and to see them again is unknown. I'm the luckiest girl in the world for having seen The Cure last night. Today I don't care about passing away, I don't care about anything but the fact that Robert made me the most special person, only for singing and listening to his voice. It was amazing, I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful review, Emilia. Thank you for posting it. So happy you finally had the chance to see them and that you enjoyed it so much.

      And you are not alone in that sadness now that it's over. We all get that after our shows. Just have to hope we get another chance as soon as possible. :)

      Delete
  21. I've just got back from Buenos Aires (I live in the north of Argentina, in Tucumán) and I still can't believe I was there I'm so happy, I had the time of my life! I always follow the live reports of all the cure shows and never thought I would actually be there! It was a dream come true for me. The organization was terrible, tho. They had us waiting all day 2 blocks away from the stadium before letting us in, some minutes after 6 and people were running the streets like crazy. I was on the 6th row maybe I don't even know! there were sooo many people... and we were all jumping and singing but sadly, at some point I ended up in the 2nd or 3rd row and the people behind me were pushing so hard I couldn't breathe or move and I thought I would faint so they lifted me up and got me out of the crowd after "Want". I'm sore all over but I don't regret it!!! I saw Robert with my very own eyes!!! I got better fast and saw the rest of the show from a "safer" distance and almost cried when I heard my favourite song of all times: "Disintegration". I'll never forget that night, it was perfect. Robert didn't speak much but I think I heard him say "You're so kind, I love you too", and at the end... "see you again!" was it real??? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're okay, Ana. That sounds a bit scary. Sorry that happened to you, but sounds lie you still had a great time.

      Do you know why they kept everyone 2 blocks from the stadium? That mad rush to the stadium sounds like it could have really caused problems. Doesn't make any sense.

      Delete
  22. Thanks Craig! I don't know why really, maybe they didn't want us to hear the soundcheck or something? It was a stupid idea you couldn't go to the bathroom or anything and it was a very looong time waiting. I couldn't even get a t-shirt because I didn't want to miss my spot and at the end there was nothing left to buy so... if there is a next time I hope they have a VIP section just in front of the stage like "the Cure fans" or "cancha frontal" I don't understand why we are the only country that didn't get a section like that, it would have been sooo much better if we did. But anyway, I'm happy I could be there :) A big big thank you, Craig, for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What does Robert say when he speaks before The Kiss? I cannot get it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. maybe you've seen this...full concert fam cam here : http://youtu.be/J7UvfK_U-EA

    ReplyDelete
  25. Audio: http://www.mediafire.com/?6ldlj9bmci068s9

    ReplyDelete