Sunday, June 1, 2014

Jill's report from the BottleRock rehearsal


As previously posted here, The Cure held a rehearsal for their BottleRock set on Thursday night, May 29th at Soundwave Studios in Oakland, CA. Jill was another of the lucky Live 105 winners and here's her report & photos from the show.

"Can mirror what other lucky winners said...heard Lullaby, Just Like Heaven as well as Catch and Shake Dog Shake before getting let into the studio.

Set list as I remember it (order might not be perfect--I did my best...I was a little beside myself):

Doing the Unstuck, Freakshow, Sinking, The Baby Screams, Before Three, Close to Me, Fascination Street, A Forest.

After checking in with their sound guy and the band, Robert asked if there was something else we wanted to hear...my only regret was that 'Underneath The Stars' was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't manage to say it out loud.

Everyone was allowed to bring items to be signed, and the entire band signed everything. I was able to talk to Robert for a couple of minutes... he was very charming (shocking, I know). I wish I'd had the presence to ask about 4:14 Scream, but I was trying so hard to remain upright and not seem foolish- I remember him asking what we had to do to win this contest- and him wrinkling his nose at "enter, and get really f*ing lucky". It was SO random, but please know- 80% of the people there were huge, long time fans.

Hit me up with any questions!

Link to photos here. Sorry for the quality, we were only allowed to use iPhones...
Hard to see the silver pen in this shot for Craig at Chain of Flowers!

Included photos of items I was able to get signed by the Band...Craig...thought you'd appreciate the album!"

Thanks, Jill! I love it! :) And thank you for the report.

If you have any questions, ask Jill in the comments.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Jill. Thanks again for the report, setlist and photos!

    I have a question, though I don't know that you can answer it. In the photos, we see a piece of paper on Robert's mic. Was that the setlist? Or was it the words to Before Three? We know how he's always mixing them up. :)

    Just curious if you knew what that was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't get to see it- but pretty sure it was a set list. There was one point when Roger and Simon were leaning over just staring at it in silence... and Robert looked at us and said "It's a blank sheet of paper." -made everyone laugh- It's funny you mention Before Three- because he did completely mess up the lyrics- and afterward said it was ok because no one else knew what they were either! :)

      Delete
  2. Also, did anyone request a song when he asked? If so, what did they ask for and what was Robert's response?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People did- I heard Same Deep water as You requested, but apparently I wasn't the only one dumb struck because everyone was speaking quietly. Someone loudly said A Forest! and that's what they played. Don't get me wrong- great song, but still kicking myself for not speaking up!

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Jill. I can relate to feeling anxious around a celeb, but I've never met one as big a deal or as important to me as Mr. Smith. Well done for having the courage to talk to him. I'd be terrified I'd just look exasperatingly happy to just see him; I'd just make him uncomfortable. Can't wait for "4:14 Scream"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill and thanx for your report!Such an unforgettable experience!Any news about new album, Next trilogy shows or a proper Cure tour? Thanx in advance for your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I had news!! When I was able to talk to him for a minute- we discussed the contest, and how a bad rehearsal always means an amazing show, and he said he can't see so well anymore- which works well because he can't tell if he's playing to thirteen people or thousands. I really meant to ask- too nervous!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Jill. Happy for you!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Jill for sharing that with us...lucky (and very pretty) girl!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've met a lot of celebrities at conventions and such, but I am 100% sure that I would freeze at being asked if there was anything I wanted to hear - I'd picture 'the crow song' in my mind, being unable to remember how language works.

    Super cool story, and thank you for sharing these details! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your win. Sounds like an experience of a lifetime for a Cure fan. Underneath the Stars is one of my favorites too. I have been a fan since the Head on the Door album and I am afraid to utter to other Cure fan's that their last album is one of my favorites. Glad to here you like it as well. Love the picture.

      Delete
    2. Seems like that would be the nicest thing for any band to hear. "Loved you guys for 29 years. Your recent stuff is the best."

      Delete
  7. Jill: So happy for you. Like Craig, I too am curious about what - if any - song(s) people shouted for the band to play.?. THX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill's modesty would never allow her to post this, so I will. Jill and her band, Ultraset, covering 2 Late! Love it.

    http://goo.gl/uVlSQt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing. Dare I say, the production sounds even better than The Cure's own version!

      Delete
    2. awesome cover! Loved it!

      Delete