Friday, August 21, 2015

Natalie Imbruglia covers 'Friday I'm in Love'


As reported back in March, Natalie Imbruglia's new covers album, 'Male', includes her take on 'Friday I'm in Love'. She was on The One Show tonight and said it's her favorite cover on the album.

And from Digital Spy:

Then there's that iconic Cure song you've covered, 'Friday I'm In Love'...

"Risky right?"

Yeah, but you've turned it into your own song with that barnyard vibe and it really works.

"It's so much fun to do live. We did it at a couple of festivals and the crowds were going crazy for it."

When someone comes to you and says, 'Right we're going to take this really famous track and do it like this', are you just like, 'Crap - what am I doing?'

"I think that was the only one - 'Friday I'm In Love' - where I was a bit like, 'Oh I don't know how I feel about this'. But it's one of my favorites now. I mean, you can't please everyone. I'm sure there are going to be some diehard fans who won't want to hear any other version of any song, but if you're going to do a covers album, you have to be prepared for that."


(Thanks @AaronLaw92)

16 comments:

  1. Phil Thornally produced torn...lets face it Natalie loves the cure

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Robert (or Roger; probably Roger) knocked Imbruglia in Phil's bio page in an early iteration of thecure.com. I think it was the house site, but it may have been the repaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Mandelbrot repaint: https://web.archive.org/web/19990203193926/http://thecure.com/phil.html

      Delete
  3. Phil Thornalley co-wrote (and produced) Torn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to listen to it because of your comment. It's certainly an interesting interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I don't hate it, I certainly don't like it. Normally I love covers, but the music doesn't fit the words at all. The band is playing one song and she is singing another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If by 'barnyard vibe' they mean 'comprised of horse, cow and pig shit' then yes, I hear that vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've heard the song live too many times & but this is a new low. not for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only type of person who could record a cover version like this would be someone who never heard any music by the Cure except for Friday I'm in Love. Gack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vocals are contemporary, i.e. slightly slurred, and there are people yelling the words in the background a la Arcade Fire, but the instrumentation sounds like a bluegrass version of a song you'd hear on an unauthorized Cure biography video. I like Torn, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it possible to unhear this. Horrible

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm normally pretty open minded, but this one really is terrible...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Natalie! You made the original SOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

    ReplyDelete